Are you drained from not being able to afford to make your car insurance payment? You are no different than most other people in California.
Shockingly, most car insurance customers kept their policy with the same company for well over three years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never quoted rates to find affordable coverage. With the average car insurance premium being $1,400, California drivers could cut their rates by almost $500 a year by just comparing quotes, but they don’t believe the benefits if they just switched companies. Since you have so many choices for buying affordable insurance for a Chevy HHR in Riverside, it can be impossible to pick a lower cost car insurance provider.
Consumers should take time to get comparison quotes once or twice a year due to the fact that insurance prices go up and down regularly. Just because you found the best quotes on Chevy HHR insurance in Riverside a couple years back other companies may now be cheaper. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you’re going to get a crash course in the tricks you need to know to remove unneeded coverages and save money.
Quoting and buying the lowest-priced policy in Riverside is not as hard as you may think. If you are insured now or are looking for a new policy, you can use this information to lower your rates and still get good coverage. Shoppers just have to learn how to shop their coverage around on the web.
The Chevy HHR Insurance Cost Equation
Smart consumers have a good feel for the different types of things that are used to determine your premiums. If you know what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make educated decisions that could help you find better auto insurance rates. Multiple criteria are used when you quote your car insurance policy. Most are fairly basic like a motor vehicle report, but other criteria are less apparent like where you live and annual miles driven.
Shown below are some of the things utilized by car insurance companies to help set your prices.
Where you live can affect costs – Choosing to live in areas with lower population can save you money when talking about auto insurance. Lower population means reduced accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. City drivers tend to have congested traffic and more severe claims. Longer commute distances means higher likelihood of an accident.
Drivers with responsible credit save on auto insurance – Your credit score is likely to be a major factor in your rate calculation. Consumers who have excellent credit tend to be less risk to insure than drivers who have worse credit. If your credit score could use some work, you could potentially save money when insuring your Chevrolet HHR by repairing your credit.
Stress out and pay more – Careers like lawyers, business owners, and medical professionals have higher rates than the rest of us because of intense work-related stress and lots of time spent away from family. Conversely, occupations such as actors, historians and the unemployed get better rates.
Rate your vehicle for proper use – Driving a lot of miles each year the higher the price you pay to insure it. A lot of insurance companies apply a rate determined by how the vehicle is used. Autos that do not get driven very much qualify for better rates than those that get driven frequently. Having the wrong rating on your HHR is throwing money out the window. It’s a good idea to make sure your policy states the correct usage.
The companies in the list below have been selected to offer quotes in California. If multiple providers are shown, we recommend you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Coverage statistics and figures
The data table displayed next outlines detailed analysis of insurance premium costs for Chevy HHR models. Learning how car insurance premiums are calculated can be useful when making decisions when shopping around.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, safe-driver, homeowner, claim-free, and multi-policy. Price information does not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can alter price quotes noticeably.
Cautious drivers save money
The illustration below illustrates how speeding tickets and at-fault collisions drive up Chevy HHR premium costs for each different age category. Data assumes a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $500 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Rate comparison of males versus females in Riverside
The information below illustrates the difference between Chevy HHR insurance premiums for male and female drivers. The premiums are based on no claims or driving violations, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are factored in.
Full coverage versus liability-only in Riverside
The information below compares Chevy HHR car insurance costs with full physical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. The premium estimates are based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
When to buy liability coverage only
There is no definitive formula to eliminate full coverage, but there is a general guideline. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than 10% of replacement cost minus your deductible, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s assume your Chevy HHR settlement value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most your company will settle for is $3,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If premiums are more than $300 a year for physical damage coverage, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some cases where dropping physical damage coverage is not recommended. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you must maintain physical damage coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not eliminate full coverage.
Insurance is not optional but you don’t have to overpay
Even though Riverside HHR insurance rates can get expensive, maintaining insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy a minimum amount of liability in order to get the vehicle licensed. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Chevy HHR with a loan, almost every bank will make it mandatory that you buy insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Chevy at a significantly higher premium and force you to reimburse them much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your Chevy. It will also provide coverage for all forms of medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage will also pay attorney fees if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your insurance policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, especially if you ever need it. An average driver in America is overpaying over $865 each year so we recommend shopping around at least once a year to make sure the price is not too high.
Save with these discounts on Chevy HHR insurance in Riverside
Some insurers do not list the entire discount list very clearly, so the list below details some of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to bring down your rates.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags may earn rate discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Student Discounts – Performing well in school could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. Many companies even apply the discount to college students until age 25.
- Riverside Homeowners Pay Less – Just being a homeowner can save a few bucks because maintaining a house is proof that your finances are in order.
- Full Payment Discount – By making one initial payment instead of making monthly payments you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Multiple Cars – Purchasing coverage when you have multiple cars on one policy qualifies for this discount.
- Use Seat Belts – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt may be able to save a few bucks off the personal injury premium cost.
- Theft Deterrent – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices are stolen with less frequency and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Life Insurance Discount – Not all insurance companies offer life insurance, but some may give you a discount if you purchase some life insurance too.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Maintaining low annual mileage can qualify you for cheaper prices.
As a footnote on discounts, most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. Just because it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it’s just not the way it works.
The information below illustrates the difference between Chevy HHR car insurance rates with and without discounts. The prices are based on a male driver, no claims or driving violations, California state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, multi-policy, multi-car, safe-driver, marriage, and homeowner discounts applied.
A few popular companies and some of the premium reductions they offer can be read below.
- GEICO offers discounts including anti-lock brakes, seat belt use, five-year accident-free, emergency military deployment, military active duty, and anti-theft.
- Auto-Owners Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including safe driver, multiple vehicles, mature driver, paperless, good student, and company car.
- American Family may offer discounts for air bags, defensive driver, mySafetyValet, good driver, good student, and Steer into Savings.
- Esurance includes discounts for emergency road assistance, DriveSense, multi-car, online shopper, and Switch & Save.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for continuous coverage, online signing, homeowner, good student, online quote discount, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle.
- State Farm has savings for safe vehicle, multiple policy, Drive Safe & Save, student away at school, driver’s education, and accident-free.
- AAA discounts include education and occupation, multi-policy, anti-theft, good student, multi-car, AAA membership discount, and pay-in-full.
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company which discounts you qualify for. Depending on the company, some discounts might not apply in Riverside. If you would like to see a list of car insurance companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in California, click here to view.
Local Riverside insurance agents
Many people just want to go talk to an agent and that is not a bad decision Good agents can make sure you are properly covered and help you file claims. An additional benefit of comparing insurance online is the fact that drivers can get cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent. Buying from local insurance agencies is definitely important in Riverside.
Upon completion of this quick form, the coverage information is transmitted to participating agents in Riverside that give free quotes for your insurance coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to leave your computer due to the fact that quote results will go to you instantly. If you need to compare prices from a specific insurance company, just visit that company’s website to submit a rate quote request.
If you are wanting to find a local Riverside insurance agent, it helps to know the two different agency structures from which to choose. Insurance agents in Riverside are either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Both sell insurance policies, but it’s important to know how they differ since it may influence the selection process.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents do not have single company limitations and that gives them the ability to insure with lots of companies and find the cheapest insurance rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the business is moved internally which requires no work on your part.
When searching for an agent, we recommend you get several quotes from multiple independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison.
Featured below is a list of independent agents in Riverside that can give you free insurance quotes.
Exclusive agencies can only quote rates from one company and examples are Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They generally cannot place coverage with different providers so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agents receive extensive training on their company’s products which aids in selling service over price.
Below is a short list of exclusive agents in Riverside who can help you get price quote information.
Choosing the best insurance agent requires more thought than just a cheap price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Will the company cover a rental car if your car is getting fixed?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
Lower rates by being persistent
When getting Riverside auto insurance quotes online, never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are a lot of situations where someone dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to find out that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The aim is to buy enough coverage at the best price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
We just covered many tips how you can compare Chevy HHR insurance prices in Riverside. It’s most important to understand that the more quotes you get, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Consumers may even find the lowest priced car insurance comes from some of the lesser-known companies. Some small companies may have significantly lower rates on certain market segments compared to the large companies like Progressive or GEICO.
How to buy affordable Chevy HHR insurance in Riverside
Really, the only way to find better pricing on Chevy HHR insurance is to compare prices once a year from providers in Riverside. You can shop around by following these guidelines.
- First, get a basic knowledge of car insurance and the things you can change to keep rates down. Many policy risk factors that increase rates such as traffic citations and a negative credit score can be controlled by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Second, quote rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote rates from multiple sources. Compare rates now
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your current policy to determine if you can save on HHR insurance in Riverside. If you find a better price, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Fourth, notify your agent or company of your intent to cancel your current coverage. Submit the application along with any required down payment to your new agent or company. Once the paperwork is finalized, place the new certificate verifying coverage in your vehicle.
An important bit of advice to remember is to make sure you’re comparing identical coverages on each quote and and to analyze all possible companies. This ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and the best rate selection.
- Car Insurance: When not to Skimp (BankRate.com)
- How Much are Riverside Car Insurance Rates for Infrequent Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Ride Shares in Riverside? (FAQ)
- All About Airbag Safety (State Farm)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Does No-Fault Insurance Cover? (Allstate)
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)