Finding better insurance prices for a GMC Sonoma in California can turn out to be a painful process, but you can learn a few tricks to find lower rates. There are both good and bad ways to compare auto insurance rates and we’ll show you the absolute fastest way to get price quotes for a new or used GMC and obtain the lowest possible price either online or from Riverside insurance agents.
It’s a great practice to compare premium rates on a regular basis because auto insurance prices are usually higher with each renewal. Just because you had the lowest price on GMC Sonoma insurance in Riverside a year ago other companies may now be cheaper. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because we’re going to demonstrate the quickest way to buy cheaper GMC Sonoma insurance in Riverside.
Cutting your Riverside car insurance rates can be quick and easy. Just spend a few minutes getting comparison quotes from some recommended companies.
The companies in the list below have been selected to offer comparison quotes in Riverside, CA. If multiple providers are shown, we suggest you compare several of them in order to find the most competitive rates.
Auto insurance protects more than just your car
Despite the high cost, auto insurance serves an important purpose.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, it’s guaranteed your bank will make it a condition of the loan that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your GMC at an extremely high rate and require you to fork over the higher price.
- Auto insurance protects not only your GMC but also your financial assets. It will also provide coverage for medical bills for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your auto insurance policy will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. But the average American driver is wasting up to $700 annually so it’s recommended you shop around at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Insurance Rate Influencing Factors
Part of the insurance buying process is learning some of the elements that help determine your policy premiums. When you understand what impacts premium levels, this allows you to make good choices that can earn you lower premium levels. Many things are part of the equation when premium rates are determined. Some of the criteria are obvious like a motor vehicle report, but some are more obscure like where you live or how safe your car is.
The items below are a few of the things used by your company to calculate rates.
High credit rating translates to low costs – Credit score can be an important factor in determining what you pay for insurance. If your credit score is not that good, you could potentially save money when insuring your GMC Sonoma by spending a little time repairing your credit. Insureds that have excellent credit scores tend to be less risk to insure than drivers with lower ratings.
Fewer miles means better prices – The more you drive your GMC annually the more it will cost to insure it. A lot of companies calculate rates based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars left parked in the garage qualify for better rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Ask your agent if your insurance policy correctly shows the right rating data, because improper ratings can cost you money. A policy that improperly rates your Sonoma can result in significantly higher rates.
If you don’t need it don’t buy it – Insurance companies have many optional add-on coverages that sound like a good idea at the time on your Sonoma policy. Insurance for things like replacement cost coverage, towing, and motor club memberships may not be needed and are just wasting money. You may think they are a good idea when discussing your needs, but now you might not need them so eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
Deter vehicle theft – Driving a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft features like OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms all aid in stopping your vehicle from being stolen.
Gender as a rate factor – Statistics have proven women are more cautious behind the wheel. Now that doesn’t mean men are worse drivers. Men and women are in auto accidents at about the same rate, but the males have costlier accidents. Men also statistically get higher numbers of serious violations such as reckless driving.
Vehicles with better crash test results save money – Safe vehicles can get you lower premiums. These vehicles protect occupants better and any reduction in injury severity means lower claim amounts and more competitive rates for policyholders. If the GMC Sonoma scored at minimum an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website you are probably receiving a discount.
Your age impacts your prices – Teen drivers in California are statistically shown to be more careless when behind the wheel so insurance rates are higher. More experienced drivers have been proven to be more responsible, cost insurance companies less in claims, and are generally more financially stable.
Insurance is unique, just like you
When it comes to buying proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really isn’t a perfect coverage plan. Each situation is unique.
For example, these questions might help in determining if you would benefit from professional advice.
- Do I have coverage if I rent a car in Mexico?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage on my GMC Sonoma?
- What is an umbrella policy?
- Can I use my car for my catering business?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- Is my GMC Sonoma covered for flood damage?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in California?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form. It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
A conclusion for your insurance search
Cheaper GMC Sonoma insurance in Riverside can be sourced both online and from local insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to get a complete price analysis. There are still a few companies who do not provide the ability to get quotes online and many times these smaller companies prefer to sell through local independent agents.
We just covered some good ideas how to lower your GMC Sonoma insurance prices in Riverside. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding low cost Riverside auto insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the best price on insurance is with some of the lesser-known companies.
When buying insurance coverage, don’t be tempted to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are a lot of situations where drivers have reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits to discover at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price and still be able to protect your assets.
How to buy discount GMC Sonoma insurance in Riverside
The best way to get affordable GMC Sonoma insurance in Riverside is to compare quotes once a year from insurance carriers who provide car insurance in California. You can shop around by completing these steps.
- Gain an understanding of how your policy works and the modifications you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many risk factors that result in higher rates such as speeding and a poor credit rating can be rectified by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Request price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can quote prices from multiple companies.
- Compare the price quotes to your current policy premium to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you can save money and change companies, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Tell your current company of your intention to cancel the current policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment for your new policy. As soon as coverage is bound, put the certificate verifying proof of insurance along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
One important bit of advice is to use identical deductibles and limits on every quote request and and to get rates from as many companies as feasibly possible. This provides a level playing field and many rates to choose from.
Even more information can be read by following these links:
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for a Hyundai Santa Fe in Riverside? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Sentra in Riverside? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for 18 Year Olds in Riverside? (FAQ)
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)
- Understanding Car Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- What is Full Coverage? (Allstate)
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)