It’s shocking but nearly 70% of California drivers renewed their policy with the same company for at least the last four years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never compared rate quotes at all. American consumers could save roughly $859 a year by just shopping around, but they don’t know the rate savings if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
Really, the only way to get budget auto insurance rates in Riverside is to start comparing prices regularly from different companies who provide auto insurance in California.
- Gain an understanding of how companies set rates and the things you can change to prevent high rates. Many risk factors that increase rates such as at-fault accidents and an imperfect credit rating can be controlled by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. This article provides instructions to prevent rate hikes and find more discounts that you may not know about.
- Obtain price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give prices from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide price quotes for a wide range of companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage and determine if there is any savings. If you find a lower rate quote and decide to switch, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
A good piece of advice is to try to use similar deductibles and liability limits on every quote and and to get prices from as many different insurance providers as possible. This provides an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete rate analysis.
Buying the cheapest car insurance in Riverside is really quite easy. If you already have coverage or need new coverage, use these cost-cutting techniques to find the best rates without sacrificing coverage. Vehicle owners just need to understand the quickest method to compare different rates on the web.
Best companies for Toyota Prius insurance
The providers in the list below offer free quotes in California. If multiple companies are shown, it’s highly recommended you compare several of them to get the lowest price.
Rates and other information
The coverage table below highlights detailed analysis of insurance coverage prices for Toyota Prius models. Being more informed about how policy rates are determined can help you make smart choices when choosing a car insurance company.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Rates do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can modify premiums greatly.
Rate comparison of full coverage and liability-only
The diagram below illustrates the difference between Toyota Prius car insurance costs with and without physical damage coverage. The premiums are based on no violations or accidents, $100 deductibles, drivers are single, and no other discounts are factored in.
Guidelines for dropping full coverage
There is no clear-cut formula for excluding full coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than around 10% of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s assume your Toyota Prius replacement cost is $4,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most you would get paid by your company is $3,000 after you pay the deductible. If you are currently paying more than $300 a year for your policy with full coverage, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some cases where buying only liability insurance is not recommended. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you have to maintain full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should not remove full coverage.
Affordable Riverside auto insurance rates with discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always publicize all discounts very clearly, so below is a list some of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to bring down your rates.
- Resident Student – Kids who live away from home at college and do not take a car to college may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Air Bag Discount – Factory options such as air bags could see savings of 20 to 30 percent.
- Life Insurance – If the company offers life insurance, you could get a lower premium rate if you buy some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Buying a new car instead of a used Prius can save you some money compared to insuring an older model.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Forcing all vehicle occupants to fasten their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to enroll in driver’s education as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Just because you may think you can get free auto insurance, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
The illustration below shows the difference between Toyota Prius insurance premiums with and without discounts applied to the policy rates. The premium estimates are based on a female driver, no violations or accidents, California state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, marriage, claim-free, multi-car, multi-policy, and safe-driver discounts applied.
Larger auto insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer can be found below.
- State Farm includes discounts for good driver, defensive driving training, accident-free, multiple autos, Steer Clear safe driver discount, driver’s education, and multiple policy.
- Esurance has savings for good student, multi-policy, anti-theft, emergency road assistance, defensive driver, online shopper, and safety device.
- Progressive may have discounts that include online signing, good student, continuous coverage, multi-policy, homeowner, and online quote discount.
- Liberty Mutual offers premium reductions for multi-car, new move discount, preferred payment discount, newly married, and good student.
- Auto-Owners Insurance has discounts for multiple vehicles, student away at school, paid in full, good student, and anti-theft.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including membership and employees, military active duty, multi-vehicle, good student, and seat belt use.
Check with every insurance company how you can save money. Discounts might not be offered on policies in Riverside.
Eight Things That Determine Your Insurance Costs
One of the most helpful ways to save on insurance is to to have a grasp of the rating factors that help calculate your insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates, this enables informed choices that can help you get better insurance rates.
The following are some of the most rate-impacting factors companies use to determine your rate level.
Men are more aggressive – Over time, data shows that females take fewer risks when driving. It does not mean females are better drivers. Both genders tend to get into auto accidents at about the same rate, but the males get into accidents with more damage. In addition to higher claims, males also get cited for more serious violations like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving.
The illustration below visualizes the comparison of Toyota Prius insurance costs for male and female drivers. The data assumes no violations or claims, comprehensive and collision coverage, $500 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
High policy claims frequency drives up rates – If you tend to file frequent claims, you can definitely plan on higher rates. Auto insurance companies in California give the best rates to drivers who do not file claims often. Auto insurance is intended for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
Proper usage rating affects prices – The higher the miles on your Toyota every year the higher your rate. Almost all companies calculate prices based upon how you use the vehicle. Vehicles not used for work or commuting get more affordable rates compared to those used for work or business. It’s always a good idea to double check that your insurance coverage reflects the correct usage. Improper usage on your Prius may be costing you.
Fast cars cost more to insure – The make and model of the vehicle you are buying insurance for makes a big difference in the rate you pay. Low performance passenger models usually have the lowest rates, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
The next chart is based on a single female driver age 40, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. It shows Toyota Prius policy rates compared to other models that have a range of performance rating factors.
Marriage discount – Being married may earn you lower rates when buying insurance. Marriage translates into being less irresponsible and statistics prove married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
Extra policy coverages can add up – Insurance companies have many optional add-on coverages that you can get tricked into buying on your insurance policy. Things like roadside assistance, towing coverage, and additional equipment coverage may be wasting your money. You may think they are a good idea when discussing your needs, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so consider taking them off your policy.
Don’t cancel your insurance policy without a new one in place – Letting your insurance expire will be a quick way to increase your renewal premiums. And not only will insurance be more expensive, failure to provide proof of insurance will get you fines and jail time.
Tickets and citations cost more than a fine – Drivers with clean records pay less for auto insurance than people who have multiple driving citations. Even one citation can boost insurance rates by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who have received dangerous violations such as DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may find they need to submit a SR-22 form with their state DMV in order to continue driving.
The diagram below shows how violations and at-fault claims impact Toyota Prius insurance rates for different age groups. The prices are based on a married female driver, full coverage, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Insurance loss statistics a Toyota Prius – Car insurance companies use past insurance losses when setting premium rates. Models that historically have higher claim frequency or loss amount will have a higher cost to insure.
The next table illustrates the historical loss data for Toyota Prius vehicles. For each coverage category, the loss probability for all vehicles as a whole is represented as 100. Values that are under 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while percentage values above 100 point to more losses or statistically larger losses.
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Toyota Prius C Hybrid||113||100||87||120||121||113|
|Toyota Prius Hybrid||101||97||98||103||118||103|
|Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid||98||89||87||106||114||93|
|Toyota Prius V Hybrid||94||86||88||88||94||97|
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
It’s not one size fits all
When quoting and choosing the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s situation is a little different.
For instance, these questions may help highlight whether your personal situation may require specific advice.
- What is glass protection for?
- I have a DUI can I still get coverage?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- What is PIP insurance?
- Does coverage follow the driver or the vehicle?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- How much liability insurance is required?
- Do I have coverage if I rent a car in Mexico?
- Should I put collision coverage on all my vehicles?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
Comparing rates from local Riverside auto insurance agents
Some people still prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is a smart decision Professional agents are trained risk managers and help in the event of a claim. One of the benefits of price shopping on the web is the fact that drivers can get better rates but also keep your business local.
By using this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to agents in your area who will give competitive quotes for your business. You won’t even need to find an agent on your own due to the fact that quote results will go directly to your email. If for some reason you want to compare rates for a specific company, just jump over to their website and fill out their quote form.
Finding the right insurer should depend on more than just the premium amount. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- How would your car be valued if totaled?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- How long has their agency been in business in Riverside?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
When searching for a reliable agent, you must know there are a couple different agency structures and how they are slightly different. Agents in Riverside are classified as either exclusive or independent. Either one can insure your vehicles, but it is important to understand the difference in how they write coverage because it can factor into your selection of an agent.
Exclusive agents are contracted to one company and examples are State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. They usually cannot give you multiple price quotes so always compare other rates. These agents are well schooled on their products and sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage.
Below is a list of exclusive agents in Riverside that are able to give price quotes.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents can quote rates with many companies so they can insure your vehicles through lots of different companies and potentially find a lower price. If premiums increase, they simply switch companies in-house and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When comparing car insurance prices, we recommend you contact multiple independent agents in order to compare the most rates.
The following is a list of independent insurance agents in Riverside willing to provide price quote information.
TNT Only 1 Insurance Agency
19510 Van Buren Boulevard – Riverside, CA 92508 – (888) 610-8865 – View Map
After you get positive feedback to any questions you may have as well as an affordable premium quote, most likely you have located a car insurance agent that meets your needs to insure your vehicles. Keep in mind it’s your policy and you can cancel a policy whenever you wish so never feel you are locked into any specific agency for a certain time period.
Best car insurance in Riverside
Picking a good quality company is difficult considering how many choices drivers have in Riverside. The company ratings shown below could help you analyze which companies you want to consider purchasing from.
Top 10 Riverside Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- AAA of Southern California
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Mercury Insurance
- The General
- AAA Insurance
- American Family
Top 10 Riverside Car Insurance Companies Overall
- American Family
- AAA of Southern California
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- AAA Insurance
- The General
- Titan Insurance
How much can you save?
You just read quite a bit of information on how to shop for Toyota Prius insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding affordable Riverside car insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the lowest car insurance rates come from some of the lesser-known companies.
Insureds who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including being labeled a high risk driver, delays in paying claims, high prices and policy cancellation. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a new company is easier than you think.
When buying insurance coverage, you should never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many situations where someone sacrificed physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your focus should be to get the best coverage possible at the best price, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
To learn more, feel free to browse the articles below:
- Car Insurance FAQ (Trusted Choice)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for a Ford Explorer in Riverside? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Riverside Auto Insurance Quotes for a 20 Year Old Female? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest with Multiple Speeding Tickets in Riverside? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Learners Permit in Riverside? (FAQ)
- Determining Your Vehicle’s Value and Repair Cost (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)